My Way is the Highway.

An account of my journey on the road with Ari Hest and his band.

Monday, September 13, 2004

St. Olaf College

I've been fighting a sinus condition the past few days. I think I'm just about recovered, and I have to say I'm very impressed with Ari and the guys and how they've taken care of things. The past two nights I was given my own room, although I'm sure that was so that nobody in the band would catch my ailment if it was contagious. Ari has been great about asking how I'm feeling.

Last night had to be the most bizarre start to an Ari Hest show I've ever seen. We were at St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota. Everything worked fine during sound check, but when the show went on, Ari's 12-string guitar wouldn't put out any sound. They had already started the song, but Ari stopped the show and decided to find out what the problem was. I went out on stage to try and help, and it looked like a simple problem -- one of Ari's pedals wasn't plugged in. So we got everything plugged in and the show started again. But once again, his guitar failed to produce a sound through the system. The process of trying to fix the problem resumed. To keep the audience occupied during the snafu, the rest of the band launched into an impromptu Country jam. The audience loved it. Ari decided it was probably a battery problem, so I ran a six-string out to him and took the 12-string backstage to replace the batteries. After the first song, I ran the 12-string back out to Ari, who plugged it back in. It worked. The rest of the show went off without a hitch.

After the show we met some St. Olaf ladies at a local bar in Northfield's historic downtown. It was a great time of talking, drinking and shoe-kicking contests. I tried to get Scott (the drummer) to brawl with me in the bar and get us kicked out, but I think one of us got sidetracked before we could start breaking bottles. We ended up getting kicked out anyway, but only because we stayed past closing and the barmaid was getting cranky.

This is definitely turning out to be one of the best jobs I've ever had, if not the best. I like all my coworkers, my boss is considerate and great at making me feel appreciated, and I actually know what I'm doing. How many people today can't say that?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

St. Olaf! I met a girl from St. Olaf once I think her name was Rose Nyland. Woah she was hot!

Sunday, September 19, 2004 8:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home