Last Call
My second day in New York was definitely memorable. NBC sent a van over to Ari's apartment to take us to the taping of Carson Daly's show. Once at the studio, we all got checked in and ready for sound check. The band finally got to check everything before lunch, and did the run-through right after lunch.
After everything was ready, it was time for makeup.
The makeup artist put plenty of stuff on Ari and the band. We had a whole bunch of people hanging out in the dressing room while all this was happening, including Reshan, Ari's former tour manager, who made the trip from Harvard.
Before filming, I was sent after an extra set of strings, in case things should go awry in the middle of filming. I ran around the corner to Sam Ash, which for a former Guitar Center employee feels like the ultimate betrayal. But my options were few, and there was no time to be picky.
When I arrived at the studio with the strings, I was also armed with a 9-volt battery. While friends and family would stay in the dressing room during the performance, I would be on the studio floor watching, ready to change a string or battery if need be.
When I got to the studio, I stood toward the back, out of the cameras' way. Just as Ari and the band were about to start, I was pulled out by a security guard. Apparently I didn't have the right pass. I had him check with one of the producers, and I was back inside before the song was over. The band played "They're On To Me" and "A Fond Farewell." It went off without a hitch, without need for a string or battery. Carson went up on stage to shake the band members' hands, and I've been told that his hand is comparable to a dead fish.
This was the band's last gig with Matt Beck as guitarist. One of the coolest things happened after the Carson Daly taping. Matt was playing with another band later that night, in which the drummer was one Matt Johnson. Matt Johnson was the drummer for Jeff Buckley. He's an amazing drummer, and it was a real kick for me to see him live and in person, being such a huge Jeff fan. I even got to meet him afterwards, thanks to Matt Beck.
After that, we all went to eat at A7 for a late dinner. I had a great chicken Cordon Bleu sandwich. Afterward, I caught a cab with Scott and Adam back to Ari's place.
After everything was ready, it was time for makeup.
The makeup artist put plenty of stuff on Ari and the band. We had a whole bunch of people hanging out in the dressing room while all this was happening, including Reshan, Ari's former tour manager, who made the trip from Harvard.
Before filming, I was sent after an extra set of strings, in case things should go awry in the middle of filming. I ran around the corner to Sam Ash, which for a former Guitar Center employee feels like the ultimate betrayal. But my options were few, and there was no time to be picky.
When I arrived at the studio with the strings, I was also armed with a 9-volt battery. While friends and family would stay in the dressing room during the performance, I would be on the studio floor watching, ready to change a string or battery if need be.
When I got to the studio, I stood toward the back, out of the cameras' way. Just as Ari and the band were about to start, I was pulled out by a security guard. Apparently I didn't have the right pass. I had him check with one of the producers, and I was back inside before the song was over. The band played "They're On To Me" and "A Fond Farewell." It went off without a hitch, without need for a string or battery. Carson went up on stage to shake the band members' hands, and I've been told that his hand is comparable to a dead fish.
This was the band's last gig with Matt Beck as guitarist. One of the coolest things happened after the Carson Daly taping. Matt was playing with another band later that night, in which the drummer was one Matt Johnson. Matt Johnson was the drummer for Jeff Buckley. He's an amazing drummer, and it was a real kick for me to see him live and in person, being such a huge Jeff fan. I even got to meet him afterwards, thanks to Matt Beck.
After that, we all went to eat at A7 for a late dinner. I had a great chicken Cordon Bleu sandwich. Afterward, I caught a cab with Scott and Adam back to Ari's place.





5 Comments:
Carson Daly is SUCH a douchebagggggg!
Guess whooooooooo? ;)
It's awesome reading about your adventures! I can't tell you how happy WE are for you. Thanks for keeping in touch by phone and email. You're an awesome guy, but we've known that since the day your were born!
Do you realize how cool your life is right now? I am so happy for you. I know you count your blessings daily, and I know this is going to be something you will always look back upon as the kick ass time in your life.
-Jessi
Dude, this is so cool! It all sounds pretty exciting, and you tell it so well. I am so happy for you. You deserve to have the time of your life. Take it and run with it! Your bro-Austin
I watched the appearance last night. I really enjoyed it. I told all my friends at the station (I work for an NBC affiliate) to watch too. Glad to hear you're having a good time.
Brandon
Post a Comment
<< Home