One More Day in New York
I spent yesterday in New York City. I'd spent the night before in a hotel in Manhattan, and thought we were going to leave at around 3 p.m., so I decided to take care of business before we had to leave. I went shoe shopping and got a great deal on a pair of New Balances, which I wore out of the store. On the way back to my hotel (to drop off my old shoes), I stopped at the first diner I saw, Scotty's Diner, for lunch. It was just okay, although my hunger probably made it seem better than it actually was. As I sat at the lunch counter finishing off my burger, I got a phone call from Ari. Plans had changed -- I now had until 9 p.m. before we were to leave for Virginia. Ari was leaving earlier for a hot date in DC, and I, Scott and Rob would meet him at the hotel later that night. So I suddenly had time to kill, and going back to the hotel to hang out was not an option (I'd already checked out that morning, but they were holding my bags for me). So I did what I normally do in New York when I have nothing to do and all day to do it -- I improvised.
In all my time exploring the Big Apple, I'd never been to the Statue of Liberty. I'd seen it from the deck of the Staten Island Ferry. So after dropping my old shoes off at the hotel, I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and make the trip to Liberty Island. I took the subway to Battery Park and followed the signs to Castle Clinton, where they sell tickets to the ferry.
Security was pretty tight getting onto the boat -- it was like the airport. My vast flying experience paid off, and I made it through with no issues. Soon I was on the ferry that took me to Liberty Island. Once there, I hit the gift shop. I'd left my digital camera at the hotel, so I picked up a disposable. I walked around the island, snapping photos of the statue and of the city, stopping a couple of tourists along the way to take my picture.
I think I circled the island twice or so -- I couldn't go inside the statue because they'd already given out all the passes, so I headed for the ferry again, which took me to Ellis Island, where all the immigrants used to go to register when they arrived in America.
It really wasn't all that impressive -- there's the big building where people registered, and there are historic markers and informational signs, a few of which were interesting. I snapped a few photos of the place, of the statue again, and again of the city. I then caught the ferry back to Manhattan. On the way back, Rob called me to fill me in on the evening plans -- we'd meet at his place around 6:30 or 7 and go to dinner, then leave out for Virginia. After the ferry dumped us back in Battery Park, I decided to revisit Ground Zero and get a few pictures this time.
Once I'd completely filled my disposable camera, I realized it was about 6 p.m. and headed for the nearest subway station. I made it to Rob's around 7:20 and I had dinner at a really good (and inexpensive) Thai place with Scott, Rob and Rob's wife, Lisa. After dinner we walked to the van and, after dropping Lisa off at their apartment, headed to the hotel to pick up Scott's and my bags. Then we headed to Falls Church, where we'd stay for the night before going to Charlottesville for what would be my last gig with the band.
View all my photos from this day!
In all my time exploring the Big Apple, I'd never been to the Statue of Liberty. I'd seen it from the deck of the Staten Island Ferry. So after dropping my old shoes off at the hotel, I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and make the trip to Liberty Island. I took the subway to Battery Park and followed the signs to Castle Clinton, where they sell tickets to the ferry.
Security was pretty tight getting onto the boat -- it was like the airport. My vast flying experience paid off, and I made it through with no issues. Soon I was on the ferry that took me to Liberty Island. Once there, I hit the gift shop. I'd left my digital camera at the hotel, so I picked up a disposable. I walked around the island, snapping photos of the statue and of the city, stopping a couple of tourists along the way to take my picture.
I think I circled the island twice or so -- I couldn't go inside the statue because they'd already given out all the passes, so I headed for the ferry again, which took me to Ellis Island, where all the immigrants used to go to register when they arrived in America.
It really wasn't all that impressive -- there's the big building where people registered, and there are historic markers and informational signs, a few of which were interesting. I snapped a few photos of the place, of the statue again, and again of the city. I then caught the ferry back to Manhattan. On the way back, Rob called me to fill me in on the evening plans -- we'd meet at his place around 6:30 or 7 and go to dinner, then leave out for Virginia. After the ferry dumped us back in Battery Park, I decided to revisit Ground Zero and get a few pictures this time.
Once I'd completely filled my disposable camera, I realized it was about 6 p.m. and headed for the nearest subway station. I made it to Rob's around 7:20 and I had dinner at a really good (and inexpensive) Thai place with Scott, Rob and Rob's wife, Lisa. After dinner we walked to the van and, after dropping Lisa off at their apartment, headed to the hotel to pick up Scott's and my bags. Then we headed to Falls Church, where we'd stay for the night before going to Charlottesville for what would be my last gig with the band.
View all my photos from this day!














0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home