My Way is the Highway.

An account of my journey on the road with Ari Hest and his band.

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

The Roxy Theatre

It was a lot of fun to be in LA for a gig. I didn't get to see a lot of the city, but I did see Dustin Hoffman walking down Melrose Avenue, so that was pretty cool.

The legendary Roxy Theatre isn't as big as one might expect. In fact, it's about the size of the average club. I'd expected something along the lines of an old-fashioned theatre, with stadium seating.

The gig went well -- the crowd really seemed to get into it. Los Angeles is also home for Anna Nalick, the opening act. She got what was probably her best crowd here. My friend Tim Goodwin showed up to see the show and to take some pictures. I'll put some of those up as soon as I get them.

After the show, we all went nextdoor to the Rainbow Room, which is a restaurant and bar. Anna's people were there, as well as a producer friend of Matt Beck's, Greg Collins. Greg mixed a few tracks on the latest U2 record, and recently met Bono who told him, "Nice job on those tracks." At the time, Greg was a little tipsy and saying some funny things. I was sitting next to Anna, and he was on the other side. Ari and the band were also at the table for most of the time. At one point, Anna was talking about how she's always close to tripping over her microphone cord because she moves around so much on stage. Greg then chimed in with, "You know what someone should invent? A microphone cord that is impossible to trip over." He began to expound on this genius idea, while Anna and I looked at each other and rolled our eyes. A few minutes later I whispered to her that I'd almost one-upped Greg by suggesting that someone invent a cordless microphone. She thought that was pretty funny.

The night went on, and was drawing to a close when "Over The Rainbow" started playing in the background. I don't know if that's a nightly occurrence, since it is the Rainbow Room, but one of the drunk people from the next table over seemed to suggest it was. "I always loved this song," she exclaimed. "Even before I ever started coming here, I loved this song!"

I don't know why, but while the music was still playing, Anna suggested we make it a duet. So when she started singing along, I threw in a little harmony. We were kind of like Sonny and Cher, I being Sonny because she's a much better singer than I am... and because I'm the guy. I didn't sing a whole lot, since I don't know the words by heart. But I knew there was something about bluebirds in there somewhere. So on every verse, I started out, "Somewhere over the rainbow, bluebirds... wait, I know there are some bluebirds in there." Finally, after we had both stopped singing along, the bluebirds part happened, and Anna pointed it out to me. "I knew it!" I said.

After that, we said goodnight and went our separate ways. We would meet the next night in Tempe, Arizona.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home