Whatever happened to predictability?
Unfortunately I didn't get to see a lot of San Francisco. We drove over the Golden Gate Bridge coming in, but I was asleep. I saw Chinatown and the port areas while riding from the hotel to Borders yesterday. I really wanted to go to Chinatown to pick up some cheap sunglasses, but there wasn't time.
The first night in San Fran was interesting. Danny booked us at this motel in the city, and to say the least, it wasn't what we were used to. There was no air conditioning -- just an oscillating fan and an open window. It was impossible to get a decent shower temperature, because it kept changing on me. There was no directory of guest services, so I had no idea if laundry facilities were available. The next morning, I got a call from a foreign man at the front desk demanding that we move the trailer (we had parked it in front of the office the night before). I told him I'd call Danny to see how soon we could move it, which I did. Danny told me he'd talk to the guy, but several minutes later the man called back more indignant than before, telling me that they would move it if we didn't. After he was finished with his tirade, I called Danny about it, and I guess he went down to talk to the guy.
A short while later, as I was getting my things together, I heard a sound at the door, like a shuffling. I wasn't sure if someone was knocking or what, so I went to the door and looked out the peephole. There was an older man standing there, so I opened the door, incidentally just as the person on the other side was opening it. It was the older gentleman and a woman I'm guessing was his wife. They looked at me perplexed and said, "You're in 318?" I looked at the door, then back at them. "Yeah, I'm in 318." "Oh." They looked at each other. A pause. I spoke, "Well, this is kind of awkward." Another pause. "Well," the man said. "I guess we'll go down to the front desk and figure out what the hell's going on." And so they did. I took this opportunity to high-tail it to Danny's room nextdoor.
We ended up leaving ASAP and checking into the Holiday Inn for the remainder of our stay. I did end up seeing the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz on our way out, from the window of the van. I think I would have liked San Francisco more had I been able to see more of it. Maybe one day I'll visit the city on my own time.
The first night in San Fran was interesting. Danny booked us at this motel in the city, and to say the least, it wasn't what we were used to. There was no air conditioning -- just an oscillating fan and an open window. It was impossible to get a decent shower temperature, because it kept changing on me. There was no directory of guest services, so I had no idea if laundry facilities were available. The next morning, I got a call from a foreign man at the front desk demanding that we move the trailer (we had parked it in front of the office the night before). I told him I'd call Danny to see how soon we could move it, which I did. Danny told me he'd talk to the guy, but several minutes later the man called back more indignant than before, telling me that they would move it if we didn't. After he was finished with his tirade, I called Danny about it, and I guess he went down to talk to the guy.
A short while later, as I was getting my things together, I heard a sound at the door, like a shuffling. I wasn't sure if someone was knocking or what, so I went to the door and looked out the peephole. There was an older man standing there, so I opened the door, incidentally just as the person on the other side was opening it. It was the older gentleman and a woman I'm guessing was his wife. They looked at me perplexed and said, "You're in 318?" I looked at the door, then back at them. "Yeah, I'm in 318." "Oh." They looked at each other. A pause. I spoke, "Well, this is kind of awkward." Another pause. "Well," the man said. "I guess we'll go down to the front desk and figure out what the hell's going on." And so they did. I took this opportunity to high-tail it to Danny's room nextdoor.
We ended up leaving ASAP and checking into the Holiday Inn for the remainder of our stay. I did end up seeing the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz on our way out, from the window of the van. I think I would have liked San Francisco more had I been able to see more of it. Maybe one day I'll visit the city on my own time.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home