My Way is the Highway.

An account of my journey on the road with Ari Hest and his band.

Monday, October 25, 2004

Laughing all the way to Burbank

From Frisco (does anyone actually call it Frisco?) we set off for Los Angeles. We arrived early that evening in Burbank, and checked into the Airport Hilton. The guys in the band had plans for this free evening, as did I. Scott wanted nothing more than to go home to his girlfriend. Matt was going to hang out in the studio with the drummer from Matchbox 20, a friend of his who is working on his first solo album. The other guys tagged along with Matt. I stayed behind because I really needed to do laundry.

Before I went down to the hotel laundry room, I called my parents. My mom reminded me that friends of the family, the Goodwins, live in Burbank. Upon her suggestion, I decided to give them a call.

Tim Goodwin is a character actor and professional photographer. He answered the phone when I called. I told him who I was and that I was in town and thought I'd call to say "what's up." He was surprised that I'd called, and invited me over immediately. When I told him I didn't have a car, he offered to pick me up. I had nothing else going on besides laundry, so I decided to take him up on the offer. It turned out they had a washer and dryer, so I was able to wash my clothes there. For free.

Tim and his wife Denise are two of the coolest people you'll ever meet. They moved to California a few years ago so Tim could pursue his dream of being an actor. So far he has acted alongside stars like Norm MacDonald, Dan Roebuck and Bruce Campbell. His photography has appeared in publications like People, US Weekly and Entertainment Weekly. Tim and Denise are very friendly and hospitable, and it's good to know I have friends on the left coast.

On the way to their house, Tim and I stopped by Krispy Kreme to pick up some donuts. It just so happened that the "Hot Now" sign was on. I had heard people rave over seeing Krispy Kreme while the sign was on, but I had never actually been to the place during one of these times. I just assumed people liked getting fresh, hot donuts. I had no idea that they GAVE THEM AWAY FOR FREE. Now I finally get it.

Tim and I took the donuts back to the house and met Denise, where we enjoyed lively conversation about traveling on the road, working with a rock band, living in California, and general life stuff. Our conversation led to movies, and started talking about Kill Bill. I told them I really liked the first one, but hadn't seen the second one. It just so happened that Tim and Denise own Kill Bill Vol. 2, and we ended up watching it that night. It was great.

At the end of the night, I put my clean laundry into a bag and prepared to leave. Before I left, we paused for a couple of photos, courtesy of Denise's camera phone.
Denise and ITim and I

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home